Problems installing Xaw3d?

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Tue Nov 1 13:59:11 PST 2005

On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 08:21:46AM +1030, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

> I was using xorg, not XFree86.  It was installed from the DVD by
> sysinstall.
>
> >> Not beyond the bounds of possibility, of course, but how?
> >
> > Most likely is that you copied your /etc/make.conf from another system
> > that uses XFree86.  You can verify for yourself by reading the Xaw3d
> > makefile that the above must be the case.
>
> I shouldn't need to read the Makefile to install the software.

Of course you don't (as witnessed by the fact that it works, by
default, for everyone else).  However since *you* surely can read a
makefile I was trying to educate you about why the problem is unlikely
to extend beyond your local environment.

> Looking at this issue again, it seems clear that it's a bug in the
> Emacs port.  For whatever reason, it's looking for a different version
> of libXaw3d than the one that gets installed by default (for some
> definition of default).  Presumably it needs to have similar code to
> the stuff you quoted above.

The code I quoted was from bsd.port.mk and applies to all ports.

> Anyway, I arguably made the "mistake" of installing X from the DVD
> distribution.

Which version of X did you install?  Since you say "DVD distribution"
I'm assuming you bought some old version of FreeBSD on DVD, and it was
an old version of X, which came with the old library version.  When
you reinstalled, you installed the current version, which works with
the current ports collection.

Kris