newbie question: What is the purpose of PRCLONING?

James haesu at towardex.com
Mon Aug 23 09:56:53 PDT 2004

Hi,

I am aware that prcloning is removed in current-5, but do have a question as I
still have some boxes running 4.x custom code.

My assumption of PRCLONING existance is to assist TCP applications (i.e. host
cache) to use routing table as its  caching mechanism.. Is this a correct
assumption?

And, if that is true, would it hurt to remove prcloning feature off of the 4.x
routing code? What kind of breakage would I expect in doing so with tcp apps?
I'd figure as long as they can find a prefix to get out to the world, and
doesn't have to be a /32 prcloned route, it would be ok, no?

Thanks for the tips :)
-J

--
James Jun                                            TowardEX Technologies, Inc.
Technical Lead                        Network Design, Consulting, IT Outsourcing