Traceroute Anomaly

Barney Wolff barney at databus.com
Fri Aug 20 10:23:17 PDT 2004

On Fri, Aug 20, 2004 at 11:01:31AM -0600, Gregory Kuhn wrote:

>         My question is this;
> Why can I do a traceroute using the DOS version of traceroute (tracert) to
> any of my FreeBSD boxes, but I am not able to do so from another FreeBSD
> box?  Furthermore, it is not just from my own boxes that I am unable to do
> a traceroute.  Using the traceroutes listed at www.traceroute.org I again
> am unable to trace back to my FBSD boxes.

If I remember correctly, MS's tracert sends ICMP packets, while traditionally
Unix traceroutes send UDP.  You're blocking the UDP somewhere, presumably.
tcpdump and/or adding logging to your firewall rules should tell you more.

--
Barney Wolff         http://www.databus.com/bwresume.pdf
I'm available by contract or FT, in the NYC metro area or via the 'Net.