OCE and GPT

Lister lister at kawashti.org
Wed Apr 21 20:49:44 UTC 2010

Hello All,

I'd like to first thank Andrey Elsukov and Andriy Gapon for their valuable contribution and very quick reply.
Given that the patch is not yet ready as I understand it, I'll go with the alternate method of destroying and recreating the GPT. To that end I yet have to ask 3 more  questions:
1. How do I make sure I have a valid secondary GPT? Neither gpt nor gpart tell anything about it. Can I assume that if 'gpart show da0' shows a proper layout and no error messages that the 2ry is valid?
    I tried to make a quick visual comparison on another system (8.0-RELEASE this time) with a 4TB RAID5 that I just setup yesterday, using gpart this time because I had to.  I used hexdump for the purpose, dumping the first 34 sectors of /dev/da0, and on another ssh shell, THE 34 sectors beyond the last partition.
hexdump of the second got nothing, it seemed to have frozen but would break normally on CTRL+C. I've never seen the likes of this before.
In an attempt to troubleshoot, I narrowed the selection to only ONE sector…same result. Then the last sector of the last partition…same thing. Even dump of the first sector of the last partition exhibited same behavior. The partition is viable, though.  I copied a 4.4GB file to it over ssh without a problem and the data rate was consistent with expectations.
I know this is a side issue, but is hexdump/hd known to have problems with large devices, or perhaps 32/64-bit issues?
I forgot to mention that all my systems are AMD64.

2. Now assuming OCE adds the new space at the tail– which I yet have to verify before proceeding– will 'growfs' serve the purpose of extending newfs' work?
    Its man page doesn't reference gpt or gpart, but rather bsdlabel and fdisk; something suggestiive of the contrary.

3. Does it make a difference if use gpt or gpart to recreate the gpt, given that I'd initially created it with gpt?

Note. My root fs and everything else beyond the library is on another RAID1 (on the Motherboard).

Kind regards,
Hatem Kawashti