OCE and GPT

Marcel Moolenaar xcllnt at mac.com
Wed Apr 21 17:59:55 UTC 2010

On Apr 21, 2010, at 10:48 AM, Andrey V. Elsukov wrote:

> 21.04.10, 16:59, Andriy Gapon:
>
>>> providers withing scheme. But with GPT we have problem, after
>>> booting with bigger media size the second partition table will
>>> be lost. And GPT will be broken.
>>
>> Why?
>> Do we have it hardcoded where to look for the secondary GPT?
>
> Yes. Current implementation does search for second GPT table only at last LBA.
> And it violates with UEFI 2.3 specification.

No, it's ACCORDING to the specification:

UEFI version 2.3, page 99 (paragraph 5.3.1):
"Two GPT Header structures are stored on the device: the primary and the
 backup. The primary GPT Header must be located in LBA 1 (i.e., the second
 logical block), and the backup GPT Header must be located in the last LBA
 of the device."

FYI,

--
Marcel Moolenaar