DragonflyBSD kernel clock improvements

Dag-ErlingSmørgrav des at des.no
Sat Jan 24 16:03:47 PST 2004

Matthew Dillon <dillon at apollo.backplane.com> writes:
>     The problem with the timecounters is that they create incredible
>     inconsistencies depending on which counter you use, various pieces of
>     hardware, your hz frequency, and the phase of the moon.  The timecounter
>     code is ridiculously complex and unnecessary junk and I will be ripping
>     it all out soon.  Every last bit of it.

The "if I don't understand it it must be bad" attitude is what gave
the world Linux.  Perhaps you should be more open to the idea that if
you don't understand it, it's probably very hard to get right, and
ripping it all out will leave you with something that only works when
you're trying to figure out why it doesn't.

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no