openssh no longer compiles (as part of make world)

John Polstra jdp at polstra.com
Fri Jan 23 09:17:23 PST 2004

On 23-Jan-2004 Ian Freislich wrote:
> I'm sorry that I didn't keep the ,v file that was corrupted.

Don't worry.  Hardly anybody does.

> I'm
> not sure that the OS buffers explain this because the machine had
> been rebooted several times during the period that cvsup had not
> refetched the corrupted file.

Once the file has been written out to disk, the OS buffers aren't a
factor any more.  At that point, the data is corrupted on disk.  But
the metadata indicates that the file is OK.  If the metadata says the
file is up-to-date then CVSup won't update it.  It would be waaaay
too time-consuming to scan each entire file on every update run, so
that is skipped if the metadata indicates the file is up-to-date.  All
file update packages operate that way.

John