CVS filling /tmp (was Re: FreeBSD CVS Question (answered!))

Stijn Hoop stijn at win.tue.nl
Tue Jan 13 22:53:05 PST 2004

On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 08:30:32PM -0500, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
> The problem is how CVS itself works
> with a remote repository.  If you're on machine A, and the
> repository is on machine B, then CVS will build a lot of
> information in /tmp on machine B when machine 'A' does a
> cvs-checkout of the entire tree.  The issue is the same if
> you do that over 'rsh' instead of 'ssh'.  I do not mind the
> overhead from encrypting the connection.

I have seen this too, and sometimes this has prevented me from checking
out RELENG_4 or some such from a machine with a swap backed /tmp. Is
there *any* workaround other than using cvsup? Is there a logical explanation
for this or is it just an unfixed bug in CVS?

--Stijn

--
Tact, n.:
	The unsaid part of what you're thinking.