FreeBSD CVS Question

Tim Kientzle kientzle at acm.org
Tue Jan 13 16:12:17 PST 2004

John Kennedy wrote:
>   Rather than hit the FreeBSD servers with multiple machines cvsuping
> 4.x and 5.x, I'm almost finished a scheme to cvsup the CVS sources and
> then do a local CVS checkout with the appropriate branch of FreeBSD.

An awful lot of people are doing this with no problems
using only software that's part of the base system
(except for the cvsup program itself, of course).

I have a FreeBSD box that's on all of the time
(my NFS and Samba server), so I just run cvsup from cron
on that to copy the CVS repo, then do a cvs checkout
over NFS onto local work machines.

On my setup, the following command checks out
the 'src' tree into a directory called 'current'
in the current directory.  Note that the CVS repo is
NFS-mounted as /usr/cvs/FreeBSD-CVS:

cvs -R -d /usr/cvs/FreeBSD-CVS/ checkout -d current src

The following checks out a copy of 4-STABLE (aka RELENG_4)
into a directory called 'stable'.

cvs -R -d /usr/cvs/FreeBSD-CVS/ checkout -d stable -r RELENG_4 src

>   I've actually got the cvsup working and I can checkout and update the
> trees as I need to, but the only thing that seems to be wrong is the
> version IDs when the files get checkout out of RCS/CVS ("$FreeBSD$").  I'm
> assuming that is because FreeBSD has hacked up a copy of RCS and changed
> some of the names.

Don't use RCS, use CVS.

Tim