FreeBSD Crashes with AMD

Don Lewis truckman at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jan 7 19:07:23 PST 2004

On  8 Jan, Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> On Thursday 08 January 2004 12:18, David O'Brien wrote:
>> > I just looked at the specification page for the Asus K8V Deluxe, which
>> > is a socket 754 board with the Via K8T800, and it says:
>> > 	3 x 184-pin DIMM Sockets support max. 3GB un-buffered ECC and
>> >         non-ECC PC3200/PC2700/PC2100 DDR SDRAM memory.
>> > and the BIOS chapter in the manual has a section for the ECC
>> > configuration screen.
>>
>> Sorry, I've never actually seen non-registered ECC RAM and thus forgot
>> about it.  Yes, if you can find it Athlon64 boards will support ECC as
>> the memory controller in the Athlon64 CPU has full support for it.
>
> Heh, you can buy non-reg'd ECC RAM, but man my RAM supplier looks at me
> weirdly when I ask for it :)

Actually registered is more expensive.  It looks like 512 MB of CL 3
PC3200 RAM is available for about $75 for non-ECC and $95 for
unbuffered-ECC.  It looks like about $145+ for registered ECC.  I just
got these prices from one of my vendors and you can probably do better
by shopping around.  If you want to, it looks like you can pay more if
you want something with lower latency.

I'm suprised that this board prefers unbuffered RAM, since I think my
Athlon XP board can only be filled to capacity with registered PC2100
RAM.