Booting stops on sysinstall

Eivind Olsen eivind at aminor.no
Tue Jan 6 23:20:44 PST 2004

Hello.

I just tried to boot FreeBSD 5.2-RC2 from CD (to install it) but it stops.
I see there's already a PR for this dated 28th of December 2003: i386/60671

The laptop I'm trying to install FreeBSD on is not the same model/make as
the one in the PR (the PR mentions a Toshiba Satellite, this one is a
Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook).

Doing a verbose boot tells me that it stops while trying to start
sysinstall. The last lines of output are:

start_init: trying /sbin/init
start_init: trying /sbin/oinit
start_init: trying /sbin/init.old
start_init: trying /stand/sysinstall

(could be spelling errors, I don't have that laptop in front of me right
now)

There's no error message, things just hang there. If I remember correctly,
doing a non-verbose boot, the last text that's printed is "mounting root
from ufs: /dev/md0".

Are there any things I should do to perhaps find out why it just hangs? Any
suggestions?

--
Regards / Hilsen
Eivind Olsen