Re: No GLX with older Nvidia card & drm-61-kmod?

From: David Wolfskill <david_at_catwhisker.org>
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2024 20:07:21 UTC
[Responding to multiple messages here -- dhw]

On Wed, Apr 03, 2024 at 11:29:58AM -0700, Pete Wright wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 02, 2024 at 02:58:04PM -0700, David Wolfskill wrote:
> out of curiosity is this one of those nvidia "optimus" laptops where the display
> is driven by the Intel GPU, but can offload to the Nvidia GPU?

Yes, I believe that's what the BIOS setting refers to.

On Wed, Apr 03, 2024 at 12:23:35PM -0700, Pete Wright wrote:
> ah thanks for the clarification - i'll update my system to use the
> nvidia-drm-kmod package.
>
> -p

I appreciate the advice and suggestions -- but how would someone have a
clue to do any of this?

The Handbook's X11 chapter doesn't mention them.  As for
nvidia-drm-kmod:

g1-70(14.0-S)[1] cd /usr/ports/
g1-70(14.0-S)[2] cat graphics/nvidia-drm-kmod/pkg-descr
FreeBSD port of Linux's nvidia-drm.ko Kernel module.

I suppose that might provide some information for someone familiar with
"Linux's nvidia-drm.ko Kernel module," but I certainly don't qualify, so
I have no idea (from that) that it might possibly be useful.

Nor can I tell if this is to augment another driver
(graphics/drm-61-kmod, for the Intel device), or even
x11/nvidia-driver-390.

Sorry to be rather grumpy -- what I had (with x11/nvidia-driver-390) had
been working OK from before stable/10 through stable/12.  The (apparent)
change with 13 to require graphics/drm-kmod to get functional
suspend/resume is the main reason I delayed migrating off of stable/12
for so long.  (I much prefer having the machine sleeping while it's in a
rucksack on my back while I'm cycling....)

Peace,
david
--
David H. Wolfskill                              david@catwhisker.org
Alexey Navalny was a courageous man; Putin has made him a martyr.

See https://www.catwhisker.org/~david/publickey.gpg for my public key.