Re: No GLX with older Nvidia card & drm-61-kmod?

From: Pete Wright <pete_at_nomadlogic.org>
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2024 18:29:58 UTC
On Tue, Apr 02, 2024 at 02:58:04PM -0700, David Wolfskill wrote:
> On this laptop, I used to have GLX available when I was running
> FreeBSD stable/12 (and earlier) with x11/nvidia-driver-390; now
> that I am running stable/14 with x11/nvidia-driver-390 and
> graphics/drm-61-kmod, /var/log/Xorg.0.log reports:
>
> [    32.515] (II) Initializing extension GLX
> [    32.515] (EE) Failed to initialize GLX extension (Compatible NVIDIA X driver not found)
>
> and GLX is no longer available (as far as I can tell).
>
> The laptop (Dell Precision M4800) is not especially new & shiny; its
> graphics cards are:
>
> vgapci1@pci0:0:2:0:     class=0x030000 rev=0x06 hdr=0x00 vendor=0x8086 device=0x0416 subvendor=0x1028 subdevice=0x05cc
>     vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
>     device     = '4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller'
>     class      = display
>     subclass   = VGA
>
> and
>
> vgapci0@pci0:1:0:0:     class=0x030000 rev=0xa1 hdr=0x00 vendor=0x10de device=0x11fc subvendor=0x1028 subdevice=0x15cc
>     vendor     = 'NVIDIA Corporation'
>     device     = 'GK106GLM [Quadro K2100M]'
>     class      = display
>     subclass   = VGA

out of curiosity is this one of those nvidia "optimus" laptops where the display
is driven by the Intel GPU, but can offload to the Nvidia GPU?  I have one of
those and use the "nvidia-hybrid-graphics" driver with success.  Previous to
that driver I just disabled the Nvidia GPU to save power, but with this it has
run great.

alternatively you might want to take a look at the nvidia-secondary-driver pacakge.

-pete