Re: Help request: strange issue with xfce xfwm4 on AMD hardware, running head

From: Guido Falsi <mad_at_madpilot.net>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2023 12:44:59 UTC
On 28/05/23 00:42, Alastair Hogge wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is there some way to test your X session with minimum components, and
> slowly adding whatever XFCE does?

Maybe I was not perfectly clear. Xorg works fine, I already tested with
another window manager.

The only thing that changed is that I updated to more recent head,
updated a bunch of ports (none directly related to Xorg/DRI3) and xfwm4
started crashing with the errors I reported. Everything else seems to
work fine (except other xfce components that depend on xfwm4, which show
various degrees of bad behavior caused by xfwm4 not running).

xfwm4 was NOT updated or reinstalled.

> I would switch from using a X Display Manager, and launch X from the
> login vty using startx (if not already ), with a minimum .xinitrc. I
> would find out what is needed to get a minimal XFCE going, for example,
> maybe just the Window Manager, no Compositor, or nothing at all to see
> if X handles the display mode setting at all.

As I said this is something already easily tested. Everything works
except xfwm4 crashes on startup if DRI3 is enabled.

I am reasonably sure xfwm4 would not crash if compiled without
compositor support, since the crash happens in code that is protected by
ifdefs and would be removed is disabling compositor.

That should would also not run if disabling the compositor, so I'm
reasonably sure that would be another possible (but even uglier than
disabling DRI3) workaround.

> Also, where are your X logs? It is is normally at /var/log/X.something.
> It this log empty after the crash?

As stated before I posted a bug report with xfce:

https://gitlab.xfce.org/xfce/xfwm4/-/issues/722

Please go there, there is the relevant line from .xsession-errors and a
backtrace from the core file xfwm4 left behind.

As a further note, for my usage keeping DRI3 is not a problem, so if the
only worry I had was to get working xfce on my laptop I would be finished.

What, instead, I'd like to try to understand is what is causing this and
if it could affect more users in the future.

--
Guido Falsi <mad@madpilot.net>