Re: 3.0-STABLE / drm-kmod / dual radeon problems

From: Scott Bennett <bennett_at_sdf.org>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 11:56:27 UTC
Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 19, 2021 at 11:51:36AM -0700, John Kennedy wrote:
> > [resending to freebsd-x11@ vs x11@]
> >
> > I'm making my semi-annual attempt to convert a windows box to a FreeBSD
> > box and having the same kind of issues.  It is a Dell Optiplex 9020 with
> > dual radeon cards (and currently 3 monitors, 4 if I can get it to work).
>
> Similar question (about dual Radeon cards) had been asked on this list
> before* and never answered, AFAIK.  Apparently, this configuration does
> not look interesting for developers to test and provide support for. :(
>
> ./danfe
>
> *) https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-x11/2020-September/026609.html

     I will add that they also seem unwilling to answer whether a firmware bug
that hangs a single Radeon card has even been reported upstream, whether to
X.org or to AMD.  They are also unwilling to say whether the DRM bug that
attempts to perform a hard reboot (i.e., without so much as sync(), let alone an
orderly shutdown with UFS unmounts, etc.) in response to a hung GPU has been
reported upstream.
     It ought to be a FreeBSD Foundation project to drum up money to hire a
professional GPU programmer (perhaps part-time) and a full-time programmer for
CPU-side graphics support.  The latter could devote some of his time toward
managing the graphics team's projects and objectives.  With these, perhaps
FreeBSD could finally have native graphics support instead of having to import
ever more of the LINUX kernel into FreeBSD in order to have graphics, even buggy
graphics, at all.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG
* Internet:   bennett at sdf.org   *xor*   bennett at freeshell.org  *